If you own a fireplace and use it as a primary source of heat or even as a backup, it is very important to clean the chimney regularly. Regular chimney sweeping and maintenance is essential because it is a safety measure to avoid a blocked or dangerous chimney.
The Dangers Of A Congested Chimney
A congested chimney will slow down the natural draught through the chimney and not let the smoke and fumes pass out quickly enough. The poisonous fumes like carbon monoxide might not be able to exit. This could put you and your family in danger. Proper fireplace maintenance will prevent dangers like chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. All fireplaces and wood stoves need good air circulation to work efficiently; however, when a chimney gets congested, the air circulation becomes poor.
Chimney Maintenance Saves Money
Regular sweeping of chimneys and good maintenance helps you to save money, as expensive fuel can be burnt more efficiently with a correctly working chimney. Chimney smoke testing should also be carried out regularly to ensure that no cracks or faults have developed.
The Necessity Of Regular Chimney Cleaning And Smoke Testing
- A chimney should be cleaned once a year; however, if you are using wood or coal, the chimney has to be swept more often.
- Chimney cleaning is not just clearing out the soot and dust; it also involves the scraping and removing of creosote that has built up on the chimney walls. The byproducts get built up within the chimney and when the temperatures are high enough, the soot can easily be ignited in just a few seconds. This can cause an uncontrollable house fire.
- The harsh environment of a chimney poses a threat to the longevity of brick, mortar and the metal components. If the soot and creosote from the smoke is not removed regularly, it can cause premature corrosion of the entire chimney system.
- Soot and creosote buildup will make your chimney less efficient and the heat produced by a wood-burning stove will not be adequate when the chimney system is clogged.
- If the chimney does not function properly, it is possible for your family to get exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Creosote should be removed from your chimney, as it is a highly flammable substance and can be ignited by a spark and cause a hazardous chimney fire.
- If you are using a gas fire, they should be disconnected before sweeping the chimney. So check whether the chimney sweep is Gas Safe registered, as they have to be qualified to legally work with gas pipes.
- When the chimney is cleaned, it may become apparent that some repairs are needed, if so, we can recommend expert companies to carry out these repairs for you.
- For regular chimney cleaning and maintenance, you should hire a chimney sweep that is well trained and experienced and a member of a recognized Trade body. They will bring the proper equipment needed to clean the chimney and will detect the problems efficiently.
Why Is It Necessary To Hire A Chimney Sweep
Most house owners do not inspect their chimney and do not carry out a regular smoke testing. They are unaware that the care of their chimney can actually be a matter of life and death, and an unclean chimney could certainly present a potential health concern. So it is necessary to hire a chimney sweep to clean and maintain your chimney.
You’re Safer With The Experts
An experienced chimney sweep takes the time to inspect every aspect of the fireplace and chimney. Accumulated soot will be a potential fire hazard if not cleaned away regularly. A chimney sweep will carry out chimney smoke testing to make sure that the chimney is properly sealed and if there are any leaks. Professional chimney sweeps are well trained in their job and will definitely make sure that the safety of your home is not compromised. They will carry out the work quickly and efficiently without making a mess in your home.
A chimney sweep has the skill and equipment to detect cracks or any other chimney problems and spot a deteriorating flue.. A certified chimney sweep has the knowledge to inform you about and help you achieve maximum efficiency of your fireplace or wood burner. They will also show how to use your fireplace in an environmentally friendly way. Regular chimney sweeping and proper chimney maintenance will help your heating device to work more efficiently. Fireplaces and chimneys can become hazardous as the problems are hidden from view. Chimneys are the exhaust pipe of your household, so protect your chimneys from smoke leaks, blockages, tar build-up and inadequate ventilation. Periodical sweeping, smoke testing and maintenance of the chimney can be a small price to pay when compared to chimney fire, stack collapse or deep water ingress.
Contact Apex Chimney Sweeps if you want to book a smoke test for your chimney.